Sunday, October 20, 2013

Baggenstos Bike Ride

I'm not sure how long this beautiful fall weather will last, so I wanted to take advantage of it by taking my bike on an errand: getting more winter squash at a local farm.  Riding to a farm from home is fairly easy as we live close to the urban growth boundary.  Beyond the suburbs are lots of fruit and tree farms.  One of our favorites is Baggenstos.

I packed a lunch and geared my bike up with my pannier and set off down the hill.

 
The fall colors were amazing.
 
Rather than head straight to the farm I was hoping to find a good spot for lunch.  As I rode into Tigard I came across Summer Lake Park. 
 
 
It's a smallish park but very nice, especially with the fall colors.
 

 
I found a good bench near the lake and had lunch.

 
The surrounding real estate is certainly on par.





 
 
 
After my tour of the park, I headed to the pumpkin patch for squash.  (As an aside, this trip was one of the few times that a bike proved faster than a car.  There is massive road construction toward the farm in preparation for new housing developments.  Traffic was probably backed up for at least a 1/2 mile.  With my bike, I rode past all the parked cars and assumed my place at the front of the line.)
 
Finally, I arrive.
Their prices are very good compared to grocery stores.  I picked up spaghetti squash and delegato squash.  The only bummer was that they ran out of acorn squash, which was the original inspiration for my trip.
 
 
With my bike weighed down with produce, I began the ascent towards home. 
 
My bike has been skipping gears lately it is in dire need of a tune-up (actually, an overhaul).  My bike is now camping out at the bike shop waiting for its turn on the rack.  Assuming lousy weather in November, this ride was probably the last hurrah of the season.  Not a bad way to end...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 7th Amber!

Happy Birthday Amber The day finally arrived - we've been talking about it since October last year. And what a celebration you crafted!...