Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Falafel

When I lived in Bellingham, Sam, Heidi and I would occasional make falafel.  Sam introduced it to me as an Egyptian Taco.  Basically, it is spiced garbanzo beans rolled into balls and deep fried.  Break it up into pocket pitas with veggies and sauce and it is quite good.  I read an article online that suggested it more of an Israeli meal.
 
Sandi and I invited a friend over for dinner Wednesday evening.  I thought it would be fun to relive my past and serve falafel.  In Bellingham we would buy a box of dried mix and add water.  Turns out, making it from scratch is almost as easy (providing you skip the step of soaking, drying and grinding your own beans - garbanzo bean flour works great). 
 

These are still raw.  I'll need to fry them tomorrow.
 
Sandi decided to make Tzatziki sauce (a yogurt, dill, cucumber mixture) for the falafel.

Grinding and salting the cucumber

Straining the yogurt to make 'Greek Style' yogurt

Finally, the hummus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 7th Amber!

Happy Birthday Amber The day finally arrived - we've been talking about it since October last year. And what a celebration you crafted!...