Monday, March 3, 2014

There's a moose in the parking lot!

View from the hotel parking lot
 
I took a pre-trip to Anchorage Wednesday and Thursday last week.  I needed to meet with the Anchorage Festival follow-up team in anticipation of the June 7 & 8 event.  Sandi assigned me one task: find a moose.

I mentioned my mission to the staff and they were more than happy to help out.  My colleague, Stephanie, and her husband Andy and I went out to down town Anchorage after work Wednesday evening to see the snow sculpture garden and grab some dinner.  The snow sculptures went from the divine to profane as you can see below:











After the sculpture garden we headed to a brewery for fish and chips.  The brewery overlooked the Cook Bay and it reminded me of restaurants overlooking the Puget Sound.
Still no moose.
My friends dropped me off at my hotel and drove off.  As I headed to my room, I got a text from my friends saying 'There is a moose in the parking lot.'  I quickly grabbed my phone and my camera and went to investigate.
Sure enough, there was a large cow munching on branches in the parking lot.  (My apologies for the low-quality photography: it was a little dark.)

 
Mission accomplished!
 
I had another day of meetings on Thursday but before I left I was able to see a little more of Anchorage.



Anchorage from a park near the airport

the dark spots are floating ice chunks

 
Anchorage is a beautiful city.  I reminded me of Bellingham because of the size, the bay and mountains across the bay.  The harbor reminded me of Seattle, so in a strange way, it was all very familiar to me.  I look forward to returning in June.
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 7th Amber!

Happy Birthday Amber The day finally arrived - we've been talking about it since October last year. And what a celebration you crafted!...